Fritz: Slams Are Ignoring Players, But Boycott Threat Misguided
By Richard Pagliaro | Friday, May 22, 2026
Photo credit: Jon Buckle/ROLEX
Majors are muting players’ request for revenue sharing, but stars shouldn’t threaten a Grand Slam boycott now, Taylor Fritz said today.

In his Roland Garros pre-tournament presser, Fritz was asked his view on some stars, including world No. 1 Aryna Sabalenka and reigning Roland Garros champion Coco Gauff, say they would support a Grand Slam strike if the majors don’t give players a greater share of their revenue.
The former US Open finalist said he’s disappointed Grand Slams are disrespecting players by ignoring their requests and by actively diminishing players’ share of current rising revenue. Fritz said players have shown patience, but want to see progress in their demands and feel they aren’t gaining any traction with majors on the issue.
“It’s not about wanting more money. It’s about just wanting what’s fair. And as the tournaments make more money, we obviously want to see the revenue shared back to the players reflect that,” Fritz said.” I think obviously when it’s going the opposite direction and going down, it’s disappointing to see.
“We have been pretty patient and mild with, I’d say, our requests, and it’s kind of like, I don’t know, I think all of us feel it’s a bit disrespectful to just be ignored when the sport is the healthiest, when I think there is a very fair partnership and, you know, open dialogue between the players and the tournaments.
“I think, as well, asking for just contribution to the pension and stuff like that is really fair when I think the ATP has done that for a long time, and obviously the Grand Slams make the bulk of the revenue in the sport, I think it’s a pretty simple ask. I don’t think we’re asking for anything too crazy.”
Jannik Sinner, Sabalenka, Coco Gauff, Iga Swiatek, Novak Djokovic, Alexander Zverev and Daniil Medvedev are among a group of about 20 stars who have signed a letter slamming Roland Garros’ 2026 prize money.
Last month, the tournament announced the total prize money for the 2026 Roland Garros is €61.723 Million, up 9.53% compared with last year.
While the tournament touts the prize money increase, players say scratch beneath the surface and that number actually represents a decrease in player percentage of revenue.
In Rome, Sabalenka said if negotiations are unsuccessful, players are prepared to boycott Slams as “the only way to fight for our rights.”
“I think at some point we will boycott it, yeah,” Sabalenka said. “I feel like that’s going to be the only way to kind of, like, fight for our rights.”
Stars criticizing Roland Garros—and the Grand Slams’ prize money totals—cite three primary issues:
- Players’ share of Roland Garros tournament revenue has declined from 15.5% in 2024 to 14.9% projected in 2026, they say.
- The Slams have issued no response to players’ proposals on welfare, including pension and long-term health, according to players.
- There has been “No progress on fair and transparent player representation within Grand Slam decision-making,” according to players.
Though Fritz has heard the word “boycott” cited by some stars, he said he views a boycott as a nuclear option and doesn’t believe this is the time for players to threaten the “B” word.
“I don’t know if I want to start throwing around the “B” word,” Fritz said. “It’s a really big deal, and I don’t think we as players should really, I don’t know, make big threats like that unless we’re fully ready to do it. I think that’s a discussion we need to have and we need to see what the potential ramifications for doing that are.
“But, yeah, I mean, it gets to a point where, you know, something does have to change if we are ignored, so that’s a conversation to have, I think. You know, like I said, right now I’m not ready to start tossing that around, because I want to really mean it if I’m going to say it.”













Post Comment