Musetti Withdraws from Acapulco

By Richard Pagliaro | Tuesday, February 17, 2026
Photo credit: Australian Open Facebook

Lorenzo Musetti has pressed pause on his planned return to tournament tennis.

Musetti withdrew from the Acapulco Open as he continues recovery from the psoas muscle injury he suffered during last month’s Australian Open quarterfinal. Musetti led Grand Slam king Novak Djokovic 6-4, 6-3, 1-3 when the injury forced him to pull a painful plug on a match he seemed destined to win.

tennis express pro player gear
tennis express pro player gear

“You know, he was a better player on the court. He was close to win it,” Djokovic said of Musetti. “He was in the control, and then obviously something happens.”

The fifth-ranked Musetti did not set a date for his return, which may mean his participation in the BNP Paribas Open at Indian Wells, which starts the first week of March is questionable.

“Hi all, just wanted to share an update on my recovery. I’ve just had my medical evaluation and unfortunately need to continue my rehabilitation before I can get back on court and compete,” Musetti posted on Instagram. “Sadly, this means I won’t be able to play in Acapulco. Thanks to everyone for the continued support – can’t wait to be back!”

In a preseason interview with Tennis Now in December, Musetti said he was working on improving his strength and applying his all-court acumen to hard courts.

“We are really working hard to adapt my game. I don’t want to say a “hard court specialist”, but in a more aggressive style, so I think it will really fit well in Australia,” Musetti told Tennis Now in December. “So hopefully I can start with a really aggressive, you know, tennis that can really open up all the opportunities.”  

Richard Pagliaro is Tennis Now Managing Editor. He is a graduate of New York University and has covered pro tennis for more than 35 years. Richard was tennis columnist for Gannett Newspapers in NY, served as Managing Editor for TennisWeek.com and worked as a writer/editor for Tennis.com. He has been TennisNow.com managing editor since 2010.

Post Comment