By Richard Pagliaro | Friday, August 21, 2026
Photo credit: US Open
We won’t see a Sincaraz Showdown in New York.
World No. 1 Jannik Sinner officially withdrew from the US Open today.

Sinner has been battling a knee injury that forced him out of Montreal and Cincinnati.
“Even though I have been working hard with my team and my medical staff, we have now had to make the difficult decision that I will not be able to compete at the US Open this year,” Sinner said in a statement. “We have been back on court in Monte Carlo over the last couple of days and have realized that I still need more time to recover from my right knee issue.
“I’m obviously very sad and disappointed, as New York has a special place in my heart. I was very much looking forward to coming back and playing in the electric atmosphere in front of the great fans there.”
The US Open main draw begins on Sunday, August 30th.
Eleven days ago, Sinner withdrew from the Cincinnati Open citing that right knee injury.
Sinner, who swept the 2024 Cincinnati and US Open championships in succession, is 13-1 in his last 14 Flushing Meadows matches.
The 24-year-old Italian has not played since his four-set win over Alexander Zverev in last month’s Wimbledon final as he nurses a nagging right knee issue.
Overall, Sinner has posted a 44-3 record and collected six tournament titles in 2026.
Sinner’s US Open withdrawal comes the day after reigning champion Carlos Alcaraz announced on social media he will defend his US Open championship in New York this month with a three-word video: “Here we go!”
“Carlos Alcaraz will return to the tour at the US Open after spending four months sidelined with a right wrist injury,” a statement posted on Alcaraz’s official Instagram said.
A dynamic Alcaraz dethroned defending champion Sinner 6-2, 3-6, 6-1, 6-4 to capture his second US Open championship and supplant Sinner as world No. 1 last September 7th.
The Spanish shotmaker claimed his sixth career Grand Slam championship in New York, avenged his four-set defeat to Sinner in the Wimbledon final and collected a Grand Slam record $5 Million champion’s check.

0 comments