SUBSCRIBE TO NEWSLETTER!
 
 
Facebook Social Button Twitter Social Button Follow Us on InstagramYouTube Social Button Follow Me on Pinterest
NewsVideosLive ScoresTV ListingsTournamentsRankingsLucky Letcord Podcast

Popular This Week

Net Notes - A Tennis Now Blog

Net Posts

Industry Insider - A Tennis Now Blog

Industry Insider

Second Serve - A Tennis Now Blog

Second Serve

 

Wimbledon is in total lockdown for safety from the coronavirus crisis.

The AELTC announced it has closed the All England Club and Wimbledon Park Golf Club grounds. The Wimbledon Museum and Tours, Shop, and Community Sports Ground have been closed since March 17th.

Tennis Express

The announcement comes hours after British Prime Minister Boris Johnson imposed strict safety measures aimed to stall the spread of COVID-19. Johnson announced a ban on public gatherings of more than two people and immediate closures of stores selling non-essential goods.

Last week, the ATP and WTA announced the cancellation of the entire spring clay-court season. The Tours are aiming to resume the pro circuit on June 7th, however that timetable may be ambitious given the ravages of the coronavirus pandemic.

At this time, Wimbledon says it will consult with government and health officials before reaching a decision on playing, postponing or cancelling the 2020 Championships. On Tuesday the world learned the 2020 Olympic Games, scheduled for July 24 to August 9, have been postponed until 2021. As of now, it is not clear how the decision will influence Wimbledon's decison on the Championships, which are scheduled from 29 June to July 12.

In the meantime, the grounds at the All England Club still look lovely.


“We are continuing to work closely with the government and the public health authorities, we are considering all scenarios as we continue to plan for The Championships and the grass court season,” Wimbledon said in a statement.

Posted: