Facebook Social Button Twitter Social Button Follow Us on InstagramYouTube Social Button Follow Me on Pinterest
NewsBlogsScoresTV ListingsTournamentsVideosInstructionRankingsPlayersPodcastsMagazine

Popular This Week

Net Notes - A Tennis Now Blog

Net Posts

Industry Insider - A Tennis Now Blog

Industry Insider

Second Serve - A Tennis Now Blog

Second Serve

 

Lindahl, Carpen Handed Bans for Match Fixing


Two lower-ranked players were hit with stiff fines this week as the Tennis Integrity Unit (TIU) continues its crackdown on corruption.

More: Sharapova Set to Make Her Return to Tennis at Stuttgart in April

Romanian tennis player Alexandru-Daniel Carpen was found to have approached another player in October 2013 to fix a match in return for payment. The TIU said Tuesday that Carpen admitted to the charge in 2015. The 30-year-old Carpen achieved a career-high singles ranking of No. 1,088 in 2007, and a best doubles ranking of No. 274 in 2015.

Aussie Nick Lindahl, who has already retired from tennis, was hit with a $35,000 fine and a seven-year ban from the TIU. The Tennis Integrity Unit said Lindahl plotted to throw a match at a minor Australian tournament in 2013. Lindahl, 28, achieved a career-high ranking of 187 in singles before retiring in 2013. He also refused to give up his cell phone for investigation by authorities.

The TIU said the offence happened at the Australian F6 Tournament in Toowoomba, Queensland. "He was found guilty of charges of contriving or attempting to contrive the outcome of an event, and failing to co-operate with a TIU investigation," it said in a statement. Brandon Walkin and Isaac Frost were also disciplined for being a part of the incident.

The news comes on the heels of the news that last year's Australian Open Boys Singles champion Aussie Oliver Anderson is under investigation for match fixing.

For more information, visit the official Tennis Integrity Unit Homepage.

Posted: